Page banner image

storm testing a new oilskin coat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on January 02, 2023 at 05:57:52

I had mentioned that on a hike in the rain in early December my old oilskin coat was not keeping me dry. I had thought about reconditioning it, but I bought it back in 2014, and I've bulked up a bit since then, so I decided just to send for one in a larger size. Today rain was forecast, so I decided to wear test it. It had been advertised to absolutely keep you dry. Spoiler alert--it didn't. Fair play to the manufacturer, it was quite a severe test.

The oilskin coat was originally designed for the nautical community and then for the drover community. Well I haven't been to sea since 1980 (a short trip between San Pedro and Avalon), and I haven't been on a horse since 1978 (a half hour trail ride with Boy Scouts of America). So call me a landlubber or all hat and no cattle, but I figured I'd wear test it anyway, and I'll say it is a fine hiking coat, whatever its merits for equestrians or sailors.

The Reach 11 Recreation area had almost continuous rain for the 7½ hours I was there today with some period of very heavy rain. The automated rain gauges in the area reported amounts from ½" to 1", so I don't know exactly how much fell on me, but after about two hours the thin cotton-polyester western shirt I had under that coat was completely soaked. My jeans didn't do so badly and the upper part mostly stayed dry. During the period of the hike the temperature decreased from 55°F to 46°F. I know most people would have layered more than I did rather than just one shirt under the coat, but I was being active.

I wore 10" cowboy boots, and these weren't flooded, though they slowly soaked through, and my socks eventually got soaked, though my feet never felt cold. I encountered some temporary streams and impressive trail puddles, but I could easily get through all of them, so I wouldn't say there was ever a flash flood situation in the area.

I got a little mud on that coat. That's fine. It gives it character.

When I finally drove home after having had entirely too much fun, I was getting mildly hypothermic, but while I was hiking that coat kept me nice and warm.

I encountered some pretty wild weather. There were heavy showers in the midst of the lighter background rain. There was a wall cloud, and I heard thunder, and it was followed by a squall with high winds and heavy rain with big drops. Near the end of my hike the setting sun shone from under a cloud while the light rain turned to a downpour with small hailstones, revealing to the east a very vivid double rainbow.

The coat was very good at blunting the pounding of the big drops and the hailstones, and I didn't feel either, and it was good armor for the thorny vegetation. My head was protected by a felt cowboy hat which also did its job well and managed to stay on my head even in the high winds.

All the mud and puddles slowed down my hiking, which is probably why I was out so long, but of course this was enjoyable in its own way. Climbing slopes presented a problem. In some cases the ground collapsed under me unexpectedly, and in some cases I'd keep slipping backwards in the mud while trying to climb. Still I managed to get where I wanted to go eventually, and the failed attempts were part of the fun.

That was the last hike of my vacation, and it was wonderful. Tomorrow afternoon it's back to the furnace room.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]