Page banner image

UPDATE 2 -- Re: Dunk tank drama

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete on January 20, 2023 at 23:06:14

In Reply to: Dunk tank drama posted by Pete on January 12, 2023 at 01:05:53:

The plot is kind of thickening with this dunk tank drama. Earlier this week, I wasn't feeling well. My wife and I have been working a mix of day and night shifts, and the weather's been cold and damp and rainy, so between my screwed up sleep schedule and the crappy weather, I wasn't feeling too good. Plus I was coming down with a cold. I wanted to just hide at home all day, but unfortunately I had to run to the grocery store for some essentials. There, I ran into drama-queen-mom. I'll call her "Karen" here, since she fits every stereotype of a Karen. Normally I'm happy to chit chat with anyone about anything, but that day I wasn't feeling good, and was kind of leery of this Karen. But I stopped to say a polite hello, and we exchanged the usual pleasantries about the weather, the road construction and the usual. Then the conversation went like this:

Karen: I heard you were thinking of bringing the dunk tank back to the carnival this summer

Me: Yeah, it was just an idea, I thought it might be fun for the kids

K: Well it was a disaster last year

M: I heard a little bit about that, I'm sorry that happened

K: Would you do a better job running it if you did it this year?

M: Well obviously I'd get involved if I saw kids being bullied or doing stuff they're obviously not supposed to do. But I don't really know what happened last year, I've just heard rumors, so I can't say for sure. Obviously I can't see what every kid there is doing on their cell phone or on Tik Tok or whatever, so I don't know.

I wasn't having a great day and I think my temper kind of got away from me. The Karen gave me kind of a dirty look for my outburst, but she continued:

K: The thing is, my kids are interested in doing one again. They need service hours for school, and they thought it would be a easy way to get those done. But SOMEONE needs to do a GOOD JOB supervising it, so we don't have any more INCIDENTS like last year.

Me: Maybe your kids should run it, then?

(I did my best to avoid rolling my eyes - I was ready for this conversation to be over so I could go through the checkout and go home for a nap. And her kids are well into their teenage years - I'm guessing 16, plus or minus a year, and despite their mother, they've seemed to me like totally well-adjusted teenagers, totally capable of sitting in a dunk tank without too much help, if that's what they wanted to do. Karen looked surprised, like she hadn't thought of this idea before.)

K: Well... maybe. But SOMEONE still needs to supervise.

M: Look... let's talk next week. If they need someone to help them, I'd be willing to talk about it and see what I can do to help. But give me a few days, my work schedule has been crazy.

At this point, Karen looked gleeful, like she'd succeeded in some kind of diabolical plan. I just kept focusing on keeping my face neutral and not giving away just how annoyed I was. Karen gave me one last, sarcastic "thaaannkkkk you," as if I had finally stopped being obstinate. I finally got away and made it back home, where I finally got to my nap.

NOW the question is, will she and/or her two kids be getting in touch next week to talk about running a dunk tank this summer? Part of me kind of hopes so, but part of me doesn't really want to deal with her or her BS anymore.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]