Page banner image

Finally did it ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MRN on June 03, 2023 at 16:57:13

When I set off for my Saturday walk today, I didn’t have any plans, and certainly not any plans to get wet, but the weather was just nice enough to decide that, finally, I didn’t want to be held back any longer. So, I walked all the way down to a large open space surrounding a shallow local river. (For those who might want to know what I was wearing: being trousers and a black “Sad Mac” cotton t-shirt from Errorwear, now defunct.)

The weather was alternating between hot and sunny, and overcast and windy, which was ominous, but I didn’t want to let that stop me.

I sat on a bench for a while, as there was a family with kids there, then finally walked along the river bank. There was another family playing in the water on a surfboard (!), but I decided not to try to join them.

Eventually, I managed to find the courage to jump in. And boy, the water was really cold. I stood and waded around in the water for a while, before braving it enough to get fully soaked. Surprisingly, although it was cold, once I stood up I felt fairly warm again. When I took a shower in a cotton t-shirt recently, it clung tightly, but I find that when you stand up in water, it’s a lot less noticeable — none of what I was wearing felt uncomfortable wet, or particularly cold (except my feet and ankles still underwater!)

Observations:

— the train tickets that I kept in my wallet as mementos have all survived

— rivers fill your shoes with stones!

— I was reminded again that I am just too old …

— even in only a foot and a half of water, it’s far harder to wade against the current than with it! Wading in water is hard work at the best of times, but wading against a gentle, shallow current is like those dreams where you can’t move your feet!

— it takes very little water to physically destabilise you; I would be willing to risk that in a pool, but in a river I am not sure I want a mouthful of it!

I offered to soak a few people, but no-one was interested in getting properly wet, just wading. Maybe better luck on a much hotter day … Despite being a lonely endeavour, it was still almost fun. The local shopkeeper might have been inwardly confused when I went to buy a Coke rather wet …

Now I just need to see if my shoes hold up. I got tired of not wanting to get wet to protect them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]