Page banner image

in the sweat of your brow shall you earn mud

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zonie on April 16, 2023 at 20:15:17

Yesterday I visited the state trust land adjacent to Dynamite Road and hiked south to Jomax Road and back. All but one of the mud puddles had dried. The one exception had a lot of debris in it. With great effort I pulled out two carpet sections and three rough hard plastic plates. I assume someone got his truck stuck in that puddle and used those to increase the coefficient of static friction.

Finally I cooled off from my exertion and had a good wallow. Then I heard a truck coming, and climbed up and stood aside, hoping for an additional splash. The driver actually operated the truck judiciously and had the left wheels go between the ruts and the right wheels bypass to the right of the ruts. The thick mud on my overalls kept me pleasantly cool for the rest of the hike.

On my way back a fellow who was walking his dog hailed me and asked, "Are you looking for snakes?"

I said, "No, I prefer not to be in their company."

He said, "Oh I mistook you for some other guy who was looking for snakes, because I just passed two of them, and they weren't happy." He then spotted someone in the distance who he said was the right person.

I didn't get a very good look at that other person, but he didn't seem to be wearing mud-caked overalls, so I'm not sure how he could have mistaken me for him. I'm not sure what the snake-collector's motives were. There are a few restaurants in the area that serve fried rattlesnake, and I suppose someone has to collect them for the chef. There are also some people who like to keep them as pets.

In central Arizona the hard-core dry season is mid-April through late June, and in years when the snowpack in the southern Rockies is extensive, the southeast monsoon is likely to be weak, so there may not be any more mud in that area until next winter. I think coyote central will take much longer to dry, so I may have some wallowing there in the next few weeks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Mud Pit ] [ FAQ ]