Page banner image

Re: A wet afternoon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LeviLovR on June 12, 2023 at 08:27:55

In Reply to: Re: A wet afternoon posted by MRN on June 11, 2023 at 12:39:30:

What to do with personal stuff when getting wet or muddy is definitely a problem. It used to be much simpler in "the old days." You walk to your destinations, which complicates things a bit. I drive so it's a matter of keeping things in the car which is relatively easy. So in my early days of getting wet it was a matter of keeping the car keys with me and any cash I might have. Cash could have been hidden and tucked away in the car but I always liked to stop at little convenience stores after a soaking and walk in wet and pay by pulling out a bunch of sodden bills and handing it to the cashier just to see what the reaction would be. Paper money always dried out quickly with no ill effects and when the cashier did make a comment my standard response was that I "laundered my money." Never had anyone refuse to take it. Most people would set it aside to dry out before putting it in the cash drawer and I did have one man inquire if it was just water and not something else even though I'm standing in front of him obviously wet from head to toe. So I'm dating myself but car keys used to be two keys, one to open the door and another to start the ignition. They were metal and not a problem if they got wet. I would just stuff them down deep in the pockets of my jeans along with the cash where I could easily feel them and check to make sure they were still there.

But things changed.Now with credit/debit cards I rarely carry cash with me any more, although it's still fun to pay with wet cash from time to time. And of course car keys now have the button that you push from afar to open the door and to even start the car remotely. I've always been concerned about possibly ruining those keys by getting them wet but have resorted to placing them in a zip lock bag, sealed tightly and wrapped up several times and stuffed in pocket as stated before with no ill results. I have even forgotten the bag and gotten the key wet and it worked fine. The credit/debit card I tuck away in a safe place inside the locked car.

Unlike you I am not a technological person and refer to myself as technologically challenged. I resisted getting a personal computer until at last it became obvious that it was a necessity in today's world and I caved and bought one. Likewise with cell phones. I resisted as long as possible until it became obvious that I really needed one and I now have one and actually like it. The thing I really like is that I can take photos with it without carrying a bulky camera with me. However, you can't get them wet and I'm still figuring out what to do with the cell phone when swimming. Again, I have resorted to the zip lock bag. I have placed the phone inside the bag but have not actually taken it in the water with me. At the lake I sit on a large rock and placed the phone on the rock while in the water where I could easily keep tabs on it and where others can't get to it without negotiating the rocks. So I have had two problems so far. First day at the lake I got talking with someone and sat down on the rock and actually sat on the phone and CRUNCH! I broke the front which had to be replaced. Also a few weeks ago I was at a mud run and again the phone and my car keys were in a zip lock bag which I had placed in the shade next to a stump that I was sitting on in the shade. I went to help a guy whose truck got stuck and a really nice guy came up to me and called me by name. He had seen the phone and thought I had forgotten it or lost it and had actually called my neighbor, who was the last person I had called, and she described me and he brought it over to me. Then yesterday at the lake I had the phone with me again on the rock but since I was not taking any photos I decided I would just put it back in the car before I had another accident with it. So that's a work in progress and am looking for suggestions if any one has any ideas that have been useful. There are two guys who rent pontoon boats and their business is mainly conducted by using their cell phones. The boats are moored in the shallow water and they wade out to them taking their phones out of their pockets and holding them up over their heads so they don't get wet. Still, I would think that they might forget sometime.

Eventually you will figure out what works best for you but having a car to put things in helps me greatly.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Security Code *
random image
This security code tells us you are human and not a spam robot.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Wet Clothing Forum - Beach Club ] [ FAQ ]